Thursday, August 28, 2008

Houston, We're Ready for Launch.

Our morning started at 6:00 am today. Nobody was very happy about that. Well, except for the cats, who aren't used to getting fed until more like 9:00 am. They're big fans of school mornings.

Bear and Bug got up without intervention this morning, probably due to first day nerves. "I have butterflies in my tummy," Bug informed me seriously, "The bad kind."

Chocolate chip scones helped.


Here's the new junior high school student, resplendent in her new school clothes, new backpack, new Trapper Keeper, and ratty pink flip-flops from the summer that she insisted were the perfect complement to her outfit. Some battles are not worth the fight, so I said nothing. An eyebrow might have gone up, but she held firm.Her new haircut makes her look so much older. Holy cow.

Yesterday she fell apart for a few minutes, worrying about getting a tardy or not being able to find her locker. I talked her down, and by this morning she was cool and confident, ready for this new challenge.

Six years ago, Daddy Shortbread took Bear to her first day of kindergarten. She had to reach UP to hold his hand.
Bug is wearing her new teal polo shirt, capris, and brand spankin' new brown Skechers. She is also sporting a new necklace, sparkle lotion, and lip gloss. She has approximately thirty glittery pencils in that bookbag.
She acted all flippant when I asked if she wanted to be dropped off or walked to her new classroom, but after a few minutes she said, "I guess I want you to walk me in," in a little voice. By the time we reached her classroom, she spotted a few friends and dashed off excitedly after a quick hug.
Another year - here we go...

2 comments:

#1quiltinggrandma said...

Awesome pictures. Gosh, if I hadn't just visited with the girls, I would not believe how fast they have grown and beutiful to boot!

Gees, I am so happy they love school. I know I loved it!

Gosh, those muffins look so good. What a wonderful way to start the day. Think I will make another batch this weekend (we already ate a big batch after we returned home from vacation :-))Time for more.

Nana said...

I agree that these pictures are great. I especially like the one of Daddy Shortbread and Bear. She looks so grown up in that pic...and so tall!! Are you sure she's "only" 5'4"?

The close-up of Kate is just too cute. That one's a "framer."

And those chocolate chip scones - I keep thinking about them ever since seeing your picture. Please do not include pictures of food in future postings unless they are low-calorie, low-fat foods, okay?