Monday, June 16, 2008

Two and a Half More Days

It's pretty hard to say who's more excited about school getting out this week - the kids or me. I'm heartily sick of trying to convince them to go to bed when it's still light outside and then having to spatula them out of bed in the mornings after their alarm's been beeping for four minutes straight. And don't even get me started on trying to keep Bear on task with her homework when she really wants to swim after school. Hint: when she comes home on a broiling hot June day and declares that she has "no homework" while slipping into a bathing suit and grabbing a towel you can put money on her memory kicking in around 10 minutes before bedtime and remembering the study guide she "totally forgot".
Bear is most excited about getting to sleep in and going to Farm Camp. And dance camp. And swimming. Her self-proclaimed goal is to spend most of the summer underwater.
Bug can't wait for ... everything, she says. Of course, she's playing Wii right now and is really just giving me vague answers without actually listening to my questions. Let's mess with her.

Me: Bug, what will you miss about school?
Bug: Mmm, friends.

Me: What's your favorite book that you've read this year?

Bug: Tough one. (pause) Uh... a toughie. (pause) I pretty much liked all of them.

Me: What are you most excited about doing this summer?

Bug: (pause, eyes glued to screen) Swimming?

Me: What's 158 + 32?

Bug: Hm. (long pause, sigh) I guess I'll have to get a piece of paper for that. (starts to put down controller).

I let her keep playing Wii. I'm not that cruel, but messing with your kids is one of those perks of parenthood that no one really tells you about before you have kids.

Pay attention, Aunt Fabulous and Uncle Awesome (the artist formerly known as Mr. Pickypants)!

3 comments:

Nana said...

You mean the girls' #1 exciting activity for the summer isn't visits from both sets of grandparents? They're more interested in swimming and going to Farm and Dance Camps?? Well, gee, I'm crushed. How about you, Quilting Grandma?

Just kidding. I know the girls will be happy to see all four of us, and we sure are looking forward to spending time with them! And it won't be too difficult seeing you and Daddy Shortbread either. :) Papa practically has one foot in the car already, but he still has some things to finish up at work, and he needs to finish packing his suitcase.

We hope to be on the road by 5:30am tomorrow. See you on Thursday!

#1quiltinggrandma said...

I ditto what Nana says, I know that in their deepest thoughts at night the girls can hardly wait to see us grandparents. You can only swim so long before you begin looking like a fish and then the famous saying comes out of their mouths, "I'm bored! There is nothing to do!" See you soon.

Nana, I cannot find where you saw that the prettiest gets more gifts on Jenn's blog. Let me know where this secret message is located. I will be sure to put on my makeup before I post my comments in the future :-) We both know, "we are the fairest of them all!"

Nana have a great and safe trip.

#1quiltinggrandma said...

Oh, I see it now just above the box where I am typing my comment. "Extremely attractive people leave the most comments!" Nana, this says nothing about gifts so we are still in the running for the most gifts with our comments. Forget the makeup in the morning because I look attractive the moment I open my eyes in the morning because I am happy I be able to open my eyes ;-)