Friday, March 8, 2013

Affirmation

A friend said the nicest thing to me the other day.  I was in the midst of recording a sheaf of graded tests in my grade book with only 3 minutes before I had to rush down the hall to run dress rehearsal for the high school play, when she said matter-of-factly, "I don't know how you do it."

I paused and swiveled curiously to look at her.

"No, really.  You're a mom.  You teach.  You coach drama.  You make dinner.  AND you read books. How does that all happen?"

I savored the warm tingle of acclaim for a couple of seconds and thought about that.  How did it all happen?

Well, not very well and not at all consistently is the truth.  It's a constant plate-juggling circus some weeks.  Dinner can be a generous word for rustled-together leftovers, takeout, or hurriedly thawed spaghetti sauce served over a mixture of various pasta shapes representing the dregs of several boxes left in the pantry. There are times when I let the essay-grading slide a couple of days more than I should.  I coach drama because it's fun. And I read because it keeps me sane.  Mostly sane.

But, man.  It was really nice to have somebody notice that it can be hard.

REALLY nice.

What nice things have people said to you lately?

8 comments:

smalltownme said...

My family always thanks me for making dinner! It's nice to be appreciated.

Rose said...

Nice to see you! My comment? "Have you taken your meds today?" No, wait, that isn't a compliment is it? Just joking. School is kicking my butt too, but I still love it, most days.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

The therapists at my daughter's eating disorder program tell my husband and I we are excellent parents. That's something we love hearing.

Anonymous said...

My friend who has a 3 month old daughter calls me her hero (I have two month old twin boys) and says the same thing, "I don't know how you do it." Made me feel pretty good because I'm pretty sure I didn't brush my teeth this morning and I had spaghetti O's for dinner.

Go you!

Anonymous said...

That is awfully nice!
Hm. Someone told me I make them smile, which made ME smile.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Common Household Mom said...

I wanted to add my comment about the gratitude and awe I feel about teachers. Thank you for being a teacher, and a drama coach.

Cassi said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting --I hope you can find more time to write here!